Thursday, April 18, 2019

NaPoWriMo Day Eighteen: The Why

it's the why
that leaves the biggest void
the empty, hungry ache
in my stomach.

why did you die?
why did you wait?
why did I let you wait so long?
why didn't you know that you were worth more than a hospital bill?
why are you gone?
why am I still here?
why am I going through daily without you?
why?

I yell for you when the house gets too quiet.
why won't you answer?
I talk to your ashes
but they are silent.

it's unfinished business
this why
without a way to answer.


heidi
written 4/18/19 for:









6 comments:

  1. Powerful words and expressions in this piece. Well written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you present "why" as unfinished business that can't be finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is always so...
    only afterwards we realize that it's too late...

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for the visit! Grab a plate and a sweet tea and let's dig in. It may take a while, but I always try to reply and return visits.